The idea of “New Year, New Me” is living in the minds of many as the calendar shifts to a new year:
I am in this mindset, but I don’t need a “new” me.
I need a “better” me.
I don’t want to change who I am.
I want to be better at who I am.
This year, in 2019, I want to better myself in many areas:
- Trust. I want to trust myself and my feelings. I don’t want to second guess or roll with the crowd. If I believe so, I want to trust that belief and ride it out. I also want to continue to trust others better. I want to trust that people care about me and trust that they will be there for me when I need it.
- Honesty. I need to be honest with myself about things and I need to be honest with others. I need to realize the truth when it is in front of me and accept it. I want to be able to tell others the truth so that I know and everyone else knows what’s going on in my life and the world around us.
- Physical Health. I want to start doing some light workouts, starting to get myself out of this physical rut I am in. I am tired, sore, and weak a lot. My body is taking a toll and I need to take better care of it. I don’t expect to rip out heavy workouts, but some cardio, pickup basketball, or light weights will carry what I want to get out of it. As far as food goes, I don’t eat terribly, but I eat a lot. I want to cut down a bit on my intake and remind myself that just because I am bored doesn’t mean it’s time to eat.
- Mental Health. As many know, I have struggled with depression and anxiety over the past year or so. I don’t expect to ditch those feelings immediately, but I need to be more conscious of the tolls it takes on me and when I need to get things right. I need to reach out more in those down times and surround myself with resources to get me out of whatever mental rut I am in. In the good times mentally, I also want to appreciate them and keep tabs of why I am doing well so that I can turn to those things more often.
- Reflection. I got a journal for Christmas (khaki colored, which is one of my favorite colors!!! it’s seriously so awesome and I can’t wait to use it) and I want to write down reminders each day of the year. I don’t always need to blog or dig deep in my reflection time. I’ve learned that most days it is most helpful for me to write down a few things that happened during the day and why they were good/bad. These offer gentle reminders of how I want to think, act, and what I want to be involved in going forward in order to better myself in every area.
- People. I am really good at avoiding people and being alone, but I need to stop doing it so much. I always say I like being alone, and I do sometimes, but I can’t do it for so long. Being alone stinks sometimes, especially in down times. I want to seek out the people I trust and love the most and be with them often, especially when I need help. Being with people is a tool for encouragement in my life and I want to be encouraged more often.
- Perhaps the most important of all: Breathe. You have to breathe in order to live and I need to do it more. The STAR method (Stop, Think, Anticipate, and Respond to situations) that I learned as a kid in the First Tee program has helped me through a lot, but it all starts with taking a breath before you analyze. Breathing is relaxing and I need to relax every chance I get. Life is tough and seems to never stop, but when it does, I am going to take a breath.
2019 won’t be a year of “reconstruction”.
2019 won’t be a year of “renewal”.
2019 will be a year of better.
I want to be the best Nelson Searcy I can be.
Hopefully the things I listed above will help me be better and better each day.
I hope we all have a 2019 that is filled with better.
Happy New Year everyone!
One thought on “2019.”
Amen to all of this! 😊🙏🏼 2019 is going to be better! For all of us! Running helps so much with my anxiety and panic and I plan to do at least a small portion of it as often as possible this next year…keep a little more consistent and remember that taking those moments for my own mental health does not make me selfish….I struggle with that and feeling guilty about it….one of the many things I need to work on this year! We can do it! I’m always here if you need! 😊📱📞