A few weeks ago, I stumbled across a video of Chris Pratt accepting an award at the MTV Awards.
In his acceptance speech, he went on about a few things to do in life as pieces of advice for the next generation. Some of these pieces were playful and goofy, others were quite serious.
A few points he made stuck with me a lot and made me think about what he was saying.
- ” It doesn’t matter what it is. Earn it. A good deed. Reach out to someone in pain. Be of service. It feels good and it’s GOOD FOR YOUR SOUL.”
- “Learn to pray. It’s easy, and it is so GOOD FOR YOUR SOUL.”
- “God is real. God loves you, God wants the best for you. Believe that; I do.”
I thought his speech brought up something that is very important to remember.
As important as it is to maintain your physical health and to keep your body strong, taking care of your soul is so important.
Your soul provides so many feelings to your body and your soul is a precious part of yourself.
Without taking proper care of your soul, you are damaging yourself more than you may know.
There are many things for people that fulfill their soul.
For me, here are a few examples:
- Self-reflection. I take a decent amount of time out of my day to think and reflect on my own. During these times, I learn a lot about myself and what I want in life and what I think about certain things. Self-reflection leads to a lot of learning, and learning within yourself leads to self-awareness, which I believe to be extremely important to the overall health of a person. I encourage everyone reading this to take 5-10 minutes to yourself just to think in silence and take note of what comes to mind.
- Prayer. Every time I take a few seconds to say a prayer, it calms my body and reminds me of how good God is. Prayer is a form of meditation, so maybe that is something that everyone reading this can try. A few seconds to meditate and just breathe.
- Music. Music sways my mood a lot, but I always try to gear it towards what satisfies me in that moment. Listening to music is a way to tune your ears to what calms you and puts your mind at peace for whatever mood you may be in.
Everyone has different ways of keeping their soul in good spirits, and I encourage you to either find what those things are or to schedule some time in your day to do those things in order to feed your soul.
Your soul is so important, and so are you. Take care of all parts of yourself. It feels good.
“Truly my soul finds rest in God;
my salvation comes from him.” – Psalms 62:1