Over the past few days, I’ve continually stressed about many things in my future:
– Will I find the right woman to spend my life with?
– Will I find the right career and be able to support myself?
– Will I be okay?
The more I think about these things, the more I begin to panic and worry.
But when I set it down and think about my life, I realize how many times I’ve stressed about big moments that are ahead of me.
Whether that be passing a test, competing in golf tournaments, making friends, etc.
There will always be stress and worry about what comes next.
I have found three things extremely useful when I start to worry about my future:
1. Prepare. Sit down and figure out why you’re worrying and why that future situation means something to you. If it wasn’t important, you would worry. Figure out what it takes for you to be successful in that situation and plan how to deal with it.
2. Let it go for now. It’s important to be aware of what’s ahead of you, but it’s not here yet. Live in the present and do what you can do now before the now gets away from you. Too often do I see myself functioning poorly in my current state because I’m too worried about my future state. Take care of yourself now and it will be okay later.
3. Trust God and pray. God knows best and His plan is perfect. Wherever it is that you end up, it will end up being the right place. God asks for you to be patient (which is SO HARD) and to trust Him. Once you sit and talk with Him and let Him take control, it’s a much smoother ride as you go through life.
I’ll tell you one thing: Doing these 3 things… is very hard! I struggle with this a lot, as I want to try and make things happen on my own. However, I always get to a point where I realize I can’t go it alone. You need friends, family, significant others, social support, and God to help carry you to where you need to go.
Life will come your way and the future is inevitable.
Before it hits, you can handle your possibilities in many ways.
But once it gets here, all you can do is take it as it is and enjoy the ride.
“Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.” – Proverbs 3:5-6
“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” – Jeremiah 29:11